Back in early July we applied for Velocir to be an official USCG documented vessel. It may make customs easier, I don’t have to pay a yearly fee to DNR, and most importantly I can scrape off the state registration numbers from the bow of the boat. I dislike them in an unreasonable fashion.
Well, apparently this process takes them MONTHS, because this week we finally got the document!! Yay, I am overly excited about this, maybe because I am proud such a small boat can be this legit.
With all the preparation work going on, I was able to steal a few hours to satisfy my desire for a carved wooden official numbers plaque. Here’s how I made it.
In a word processing program, size the numbers in a font you like to be at least 3″ high. Print them out, measure them to be sure. Find a piece of wood that will be easy to carve (ours is the unused leg from our dinette table and a soft pine). Tape the letters to the wood with simple packing tape.
Then, with a dremel carve the edges of the numbers to get the outline for each one. This was a great guide for the router and gave me a cleaner edge.
Using a medium-sized router with a small wood attachment I ground out the numbers. This was time-consuming and made my elbow hurt for a while, but gave clean edges and a nice depth.
Finally, some varnish and paint make it shine. As you can clearly see, a huge mistake I made (compare this to first pic) is completely masked (thanks to using a wide piece of wood and a grinder). The only problem now is finding a place for it on the boat.
We have been busy finishing the projects we really want to get done before we leave, confidently planning to depart by the end of the month.
Our biggest project has been welding and assembling a stern arch to mount our solar panels on to. Using an extra stern push from an Albin Vega that had been parted (selling parts and destroying the boat) Grant first welded a horizontal support bar to the top which will support the solar panels forward.
Then, in order to have clearance for the Navik self-steering wind vane, Grant welded an additional 20 inches in stainless steel 1 inch tubing. At the bottom of each leg, a receiver was shaped and welded to the bottom stern push with a pin bolted through. This will allow for the top arch to be detached if needed.
The arch for the solar panels was then attached onto the Vega. We also took the opportunity to weld on our outboard bracket and horseshoe ring holders.
This morning we drilled holes in the tubing at four points and bolted on our solar panels. In the overcast weather today, we were able to see that they were each producing 18 volts.
Another project we completed this week was sound proofing the engine room. We get A LOT of noise in the cabin when the engine is running and this reduced it quite a bit. First, I made patterns out of brown paper. Then, I cut out the shapes and used foil tape around the edges. To attach, we used screws with washers.
Other ongoing projects are sewing covers, varnishing trim pieces, getting our EPIRB ready, installing electronics, provisioning, and so many other projects!
Some of my recent recipes for on a boat.
1. Pasta and Veggies:
Sautee fresh vegetables (carrots, peppers, squash, tomatoes, zucchini). When tender, add fresh basil and create sauce with 1 can of tomato paste and olive oil to thin. Serve over spaghetti.
2. Banana Muffins: Perfect for when they start to turn brown. Can add other fruits to the mix. Nice “food in your hand” snack for the boat.
3-4 mashed bananas, 3/4 c sugar, 1 egg beaten, 1/3 c. butter or applesauce, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 c. flour
walnuts, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, allspice
Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Bake @ 350 for 25-30 mins.