Advertisements
velocir on the prowl
Velocir

_DSC0956

This past Spring we were crew aboard the tallship HMS Bounty. Many of you saw our blogs and video, as we shared what it is like to sail a traditional ship.  As you may now know, this morning the HMS Bounty sank off Cape Hatteras during hurricane Sandy.

USCG News Release: http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/1591487/

Our hearts go out to the crew members and their families.  Thankfully, many have been rescued and are safe.  We are closely connected to many.  Here is one comment from a rescued friend on Facebook:

The ship sank beneath us, but we swam free and mostly got into two rafts.
I’m at the USCG station Elizabeth City NC. There are two unaccounted for at present.

This is tragic, terrifying news.  With all our hearts we hope that the two remaining crew members are rescued.

We have many memories on this ship.  It is how we met, and where we had our first kiss.  We are sorry she is gone, but angry that any life was risked in this way.

Please fellow sailors, be humbled by the weather.

P8050096Bounty 021P8030128

IMG_3482_edited-1[3]

Advertisements

About VELOCIR

Velocir is and Albin Vega 27 built in 1973. She has been redone and outfitted for world cruising by her owners Grant and Amelia.

Discussion

15 thoughts on “We were not aboard Bounty– Our thoughts and hearts go out to our fellow crew members.

1. I also just heard this news and I went on line to find out news. This is so tragic and so close to home. We are thankful that you were not on board and our prayers to those that were and hope for those that are unaccounted for. Aunt Sandy

Posted by remus49 | October 29, 2012, 13:06
  2. Glad you guys weren’t onboard! Hearbreaking

Posted by Tate | October 29, 2012, 13:07
  3. Oh, Amy. I’m so sorry to hear this. My heart is with you, Grant, and the crew right now. I hope the other 2 crew members are found safe and sound.

Posted by Lyndsey | October 29, 2012, 13:10
  4. Thanks for your post. Thankful for the rescue and praying for those not yet out of danger. But great sadness as well for the loss of this beautiful and historic ship.

Posted by Motu Iti | October 29, 2012, 13:11
  5. I had just sent you an e-mail and found this post after, my prayers are for them.

Posted by Dan Kerr | October 29, 2012, 13:11
  6. Be safe guys
    Wes and Ayrton
    s/v Gemini Dreams

Posted by wes | October 29, 2012, 14:55
  7. I am so sorry to hear about this sad news, Amelia and Grant. Keeping the missing two, and all current and former crew in my thoughts and heart.

Posted by EmaBeesArt | October 29, 2012, 17:31
  8. Glad to hear you are safe. I was following you guys on youtube and website during your trip the last winter. I am sorry to hear of the loss of the the ship, I am from Fall River, Ma where you know she spent some time. I pray they find the missing crew. Stay Safe

jason and crystal

Posted by Jason S | October 29, 2012, 17:42
  9. Its sickening to read news like that. Ouch! Glad you guys got to see her while she was still floating and also that you weren’t on her when she went down!

Posted by Tate | October 29, 2012, 18:29
  10. thank god you all are ok hope all on the bounty are as well

Posted by Neilson Mcginnis | October 29, 2012, 23:30
  11. So, so sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with the crew and their families, and to you and all who loved Bounty. Hope you are staying safe.

Posted by Mom and Dad | October 30, 2012, 02:42
  12. I realize a ship is safer at sea than in port. I also don’t want to be second guessing the captain. But…what was a beautiful, historic, tall-ship doing near a hurricane? (I’m upset!)

Posted by perfent | October 30, 2012, 13:17
  13. I would like to think the captain had good reason to go to sea with huricane Sandy near, and when lives are put at risk but it comes down to trust. The Bounty came to the Sault Ste Marie opening cerimonies ot the War of 1812, and when I listen to the news of her sinking my heart like many of you follow sailors sunk with her. I pray for safe return of the missing crew.

Posted by Shawn s/v Daze Off | October 30, 2012, 14:09
  14. A tragic loss; Terrible sadness. Prayers go out to the crew members, their families and everyone touched by the Bounty.

Posted by Cheryl | October 30, 2012, 14:56